The Museum of Menorca provides a point of reference for the study of the ancient history, history and culture of Menorca, as it is the custodian of approximately 200,000 artefacts that testify to the islands history. In order to consult this collection, the museum has a space which it makes available to researchers who request it.
- It is necessary to complete the following application form or contact the Museum on 971 350 955.
- All enquiries will be answered within a minimum period of 15 days and maximum of 2 months.
- Queries regarding the collection must be made within the space created for this purpose. No pieces or documents may be taken outside of the Museum.
Timetable for Assistance to Researchers:
- Tuesdays and Thursdays from 10:00 to 14:30 h
Conditions for consultations:
- This application is regulated according to Law 4/2003, of 26th March, for Museums of the Balearic Islands (BOIB numb. 44 of 3rd April 2003), and the decree 14/2001 of 25th February, for approval of the Rules of archeological and paleontological interventions of the Balearic Islands (BOIB numb. 37 of 12th March 2011).
- All investigations to be carried out must respect at all times the legislation regarding intellectual property.
- In the case that any of the pieces of archeological origin are pending submission of the scientific report required by the Regulation it will be necessary to get written permission form the Director for said archeological intervention.
- Access and research must be adjusted to the conditions set by the Museum in order to guarantee the security and preservation of the goods.
- Once the consultation is finalised, a report must be submitted to the Museum’s management regarding the tasks carried out, the conclusions reached and should it be the case, the publications in which the pieces are mentioned.
- In the case that a publication is made, it is vital to mention the authorship, excavation, archive or collection of the pieces consulted, as well as the Museum.
- The applicants research visits must be planned within the stated timeframe (minimum 15 days, maximum 2 months)
- The Museum of Menorca reserves the right to take any necessary legal action against anyone not following the established conditions. In this sense the Museum of Menorca and the applicant shall be submitted under the jurisdiction of the courts of Maó, renouncing to their own legal system when different.
Rules for use of the Consultation room:
- It is essential to follow the basic rules for behavior and not disturb the good working atmosphere.
- Users must leave all bags, handbags, laptop cases, etc. in the small cupboards by the reception.
- Mobile phones must be on silent mode.
- The Museum staff will provide gloves for the examination of the collection.
- The number of pieces which users can examine during each session will depend on the objects characteristics and be decided by the Museum staff using the best practice criteria for conservation and security.
- The Museum reserves the right to forbid access to the consultation room to anyone not complying with these rules.
In order to apply for access to the Museum’s collection you must download the application form:
>DOWNLOAD APPLICATION FORM
Once completed send it back to us via this form: